Random Trivia For This Title:
- This film contains the first confirmed appearance of Starfleet Marines - the officers accompanying Kirk and crew down to Nimbus III have since been said to be Marines.
- Max von Sydow was favored for Sybok
- The surface of Shaka-Ri as viewed during reconnaissance by Captain Kirk was generated from an electron microscope image of a lobster's claw.
- The name "Sha Ka Ree" is a play on words from the original actor asked to play the part of Sybok: Sean Connery.
- Enterprise-D corridor sets from [Star Trek: The Next Generation] were used as Enterprise-A corridors in this film. Very few cosmetic alterations were made so as not to interfere with filming of the TV series, which was under way at the same time.
- The sick-bay from [Star Trek: The Next Generation] is used, unaltered in the film, which marks the first appearance of [Star Trek]'s LCARS computer system.
- The mountain James Kirk is climbing in Yosemite is named, aptly enough, El Capitan.
- Stuntman [?] Kenny Bates is credited with the highest descender fall in the U.S., standing in for William Shatner's fall from El Capitan.
- The name of Dr. McCoy's dying father, according to Star Trek III, is David.
- Laurence Luckinbill is the real-life son-in-law of [?] Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball, having married their daughter, Lucie Arnaz, back in 1980. Desi and Lucy's production company, "Desilu Productions Inc.", produced the first two seasons of [Star] [Trek].