Random Trivia For This Title:
- Debut theatrical feature film of actor Kevin NealonKevin Nealon.
- Originally rated R by the MPAA but changed to PG on appeal, uncut.
- Was #10 on Gene SiskelGene Siskel 's list of the "Best Films of 1987."
- When C.D. uncovers the telescope at Roxanne's house he says "You must know about M31. Now see I like it when they give astronomical things names like Andromeda." Well Messier 31 (M31) is the Andromeda galaxy.
- Technology lent an important hand in providing Steve MartinSteve Martin with the imposing, legendary proboscis designed by makeup designer Michael WestmoreMichael Westmore. A specialty lab made plaster impression of Martin's own nose was sculpted into a genetically appropriate, larger version. This was then cast into a mold from which they made a supply of foam-rubber noses, at least one a day was used for filming, which were applied with spirit gum, edges feathered with rubber, and blended with Martin's other facial make-up. Make-up artist Frank GriffinFrank Griffin for Steve MartinSteve Martin said: "This was, in some ways, one of the most difficult 'jobs' I've ever done because we had to match the skin color, with very little surrounding make-up to blend into. If it just ended abruptly, it would stick out like a sore thumb".
- One of the nose insults that C.D. comes up with is "your nose was on time, but you were fifteen minutes late." Cyrano laments later in the play that his nose precedes him by fifteen minutes.
- When C.D. is challenged to think of 20 better jokes than "big nose", one of them, "you must love the little birdies that you give them this to perch on" is taken directly from the original scene in "Cyrano de Bergerac."
- Bales is challenged to tell 20 nose jokes. After he tells 18 or 19, he asks "How many's that?" to which he is told, "Fourteen!" He goes on to tell another six, making 24 or 25 in total. ("Finally a man who can satisfy two women at once" was deleted in the TV version, resulting in the different totals.)
- In a radio interview, Steve MartinSteve Martin said about his role in Roxanne that it was the first time he felt respected in a film role as opposed to being recognized for his celebrity as a one-time stand-up comedian.
- While wearing the false nose, Steve MartinSteve Martin was often greeted with the phrase "Nice nose!" One day between scenes he had to use the lavatory in a bar, and on the way across the room he passed a group of bikers. Steeling himself for the usual greeting, he was delighted to hear one of the bikers instead ask "Why the long face?"
- When C.D. (Steve MartinSteve Martin) is consulting the plastic surgeon about getting a nose job he holds a picture of the nose he wants up beside his nose. The picture is of his real nose.
- Christine LahtiChristine Lahti was the second choice for the role of Roxanne which was cast with actress Daryl HannahDaryl Hannah.
- Included among the American Film Institute's 2000 list of the 500 movies nominated for the Top 100 Funniest American Movies.