Random Trivia For This Title:
- This movie had a fair amount of trouble casting. Bridgette Wilson was offered to reprise the role of Sonya Blade, but then turned it down for a role in I Know What You Did Last Summer. Linden Ashby was asked to return as Johnny Cage, but turned it down after reading the script. Lynn 'Red' Williams replaced Gregory McKinney as Jax due to McKinney's health problems. [?] Michael Jai White was scheduled to play as Jax, but eventually he got the lead part in Spawn instead. Sylvester Stallone turn down the role for Baraka. Chris Casamassa was to reprise his role as Scorpion, but he was committed to do stunt work in Batman & Robin. Despite the fact that Robin Shou (Liu Kang) and Talisa Soto (Kitana) reprised their roles from the first film, the roles of the other characters are portrayed by different actors. The only other actor to return was Keith Cooke (Reptile in the first film), as Sub-Zero.
- A third [Mortal Kombat] film was going to be developed, called "Mortal Kombat: Devastation". Christopher Lambert, Linden Ashby, [?] Adoni Maropis, Robin Shou, Chris Casamassa, Keith Cooke, and Lynn 'Red' Williams were hired to be in the cast as Lord Rayden, Johnny Cage, Quan Chi, Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Jax, respectively. Talisa Soto and Sandra Hess were in talks to reprise their respective roles of Princess Kitana and Lt. Sonya Blade. However, plans for a third film fell through and the film rights went to Warner Bros., which is planning a Mortal Kombat reboot.
- Ray Park's first film role was as Rayden's fight double in this movie.
- Both Deron McBee (Motaro) and Lynn 'Red' Williams (Jax) are former American Gladiators, and they have a fight scene in this film together.
- Dana Hee, who plays Mileena, was Kitana's stunt double in the previous film. In the game's storyline, Mileena is actually a clone of Kitana raised as her sister. (Here, however Kitana and Mileena are not exactly twins because Mileena has blue eyes, but Kitana are brown eyes.)
- James Remar apparently auditioned for Rayden. Christopher Lambert was apparently interested in reprising Rayden but was committed to Beowulf at the time.
- Though Musetta Vander and Talisa Soto play mother (Sindel) and daughter (Kitana) respectively, in the real life the actresses are only four years apart in age.
- Although popular characters from the video games, like Mileena and Noob Saibot appear in the film, they are never mentioned by name.
- James Remar who plays Rayden is left-handed, his stunt double Ray Park is also left-handed.