Random Trivia For This Title:
- In early 1997, Warner Bros. approached cult filmmaker/comic book writer Kevin SmithKevin Smith to script the film. Smith turned down the offer, believing there were other suitable candidates to make a Green Lantern movie.
- The Green Lantern uniform is portrayed in computer-generated imagery; this was a creative move by the filmmakers, who wanted the uniform not to be a real cloth outfit but an energy construct generated by the Lantern power ring. Notably the comics originally started with Hal Jordan having an actual uniform, but later this was amended to the Green Lantern's uniform being a construct created by the rings.
- Martin CampbellMartin Campbell based the film's action on knife fights in a phone booth: "quick and fast and dirty and big grand sweeping movements."
- Michael Clarke DuncanMichael Clarke Duncan, who voices Kilowog, is a big fan of the character.
- Hugo WeavingHugo Weaving, Jackie Earle HaleyJackie Earle Haley and Geoffrey RushGeoffrey Rush were considered to for the role of Sinestro. Rush went on to voice the Green Lantern Tomar-Re.
- Senator Hammond (played by Tim RobbinsTim Robbins) is a character created specially for the movie; Hammond's parents are never mentioned in the comics.
- This is editor Stuart BairdStuart Baird's third superhero film, having previously worked on Superman and Superman II (the [Zorro] films are debatable).
- The comics differ over what caused Abin Sur's mortal crash-landing on Earth. The original story says his ship was rendered inoperative by yellow radiation that surrounded the Earth; later comics mention his ship was damaged from a battle with a Red Lantern. The film combines both versions (battle with a being of yellow radiation).
- Peter SarsgaardPeter Sarsgaard described Hector Hammond as an expression of what he keeps inside: "He's the kid that licked a battery, or went on the roof during a thunderstorm with a coat hanger." Skarsgaard had a prosthetic applied on his head to portray Hector Hammond in the initial stages of his mutation. For scenes where Hammond's head actually enlarges it was done in CGI. He loved his look as Hector Hammond so much he declared himself the "king of the prostheses!"
- Kevin KlineKevin Kline was considered for the role of Senator Hammond.
- Keri RussellKeri Russell, Eva GreenEva Green, Jennifer GarnerJennifer Garner and Diane KrugerDiane Kruger were all considered to play Carol Ferris.
- [?] Quentin Tarantino was considered to direct this film. Zack SnyderZack Snyder was approached to direct the film, but he turned down the offer due to his commitment on Watchmen. He would later accept the offer to direct the [Superman] reboot Man of Steel.
- Eddie MurphyEddie Murphy was considered to play John StewartJohn Stewart.
- Sam WorthingtonSam Worthington and Chris PineChris Pine were considered for the role of Hal Jordan. [?] Brian Austin Green, a fan of the Green Lantern, campaigned actively to get the role. Bradley CooperBradley Cooper, Justin TimberlakeJustin Timberlake and Jared LetoJared Leto also screen-tested for the role before finally, Ryan ReynoldsRyan Reynolds was cast as Jordan.