Random Trivia For This Title:
- Sean Connery and Harrison Ford wore no trousers during the shooting of the entire Zeppelin sequence (mainly because it was filmed in a very hot studio and Connery didn't want to sweat too much).
- When describing how he prepared for playing the role of young Indiana Jones, River Phoenix explained that he didn't really base his portrayal on the Indiana Jones character. Instead, he decided to do his rendition of actor Harrison Ford. So he observed Ford out of character before acting his part.
- It took a week to film Julian Glover's death scene.
- Having Sean Connery play Jones' father was an inside joke to James Bond being the father of Indiana Jones. Steven Spielberg had always wanted to do a [Bond] film but did Indiana Jones as a James Bond type character.
- To help achieve the sound of thousands of rats, sound designer Ben Burtt actually used the higher registers of thousands of chickens.
- Harrison Ford was the one who suggested using River Phoenix to play him as a teenager.
- The temple right at the end of the movie exists, but not in Alexandretta. It is in Petra, in Jordan. However, there is no inside to it - the doorway that can be seen on screen is huge, eight or nine people shoulder to shoulder can easily walk thru it. It leads to a huge empty square room carved from the top down over two stories high. Similarly, they would be unable to get "lost" down the valley as the valley stretches for about a mile or so, and there is no other route but out.
- Chris Columbus wrote a rejected draft in which Indy traveled to Africa and dueled a Monkey prince, but the script was also rejected because of too many negative African stereotypes. However, the tank chase sequence in the film was taken from his draft.
- Walter Donovan was played by Julian Glover, and Donovan's wife was played by Glover's wife, Isla Blair.
- Sean Connery is only 12 years older than Harrison Ford despite playing his father.
- Gregory Peck was considered to play Indy's father, should Connery have declined he role.
- Donovan's death sequence by rapid aging was the first all-digital composite. In previous films involving computer generated visual effects (i.e., Young Sherlock Holmes and Willow) CG elements were output to film and added to final film print using optical printers. For "Last Crusade" ILM scanned several filmed makeup transformations of "Donovan's demise" and "morphed" the elements together digitally. By doing this, film (was for first time) scanned, digitally manipulated, and output back to film rather than arranging film elements with an optical printer.
- The gun used to shoot the Sean Connery character is a Walther PPK, which was the gun Connery used in his [James Bond] movies.