Random Trivia For This Title:
- While horsing around on the set, Jennifer Lawrence accidentally kicked Josh Hutcherson in the head, knocking him out and resulting in a concussion.
- Since Jennifer Lawrence is friends with Lenny Kravitz's daughter, ZoŽ Kravitz, she couldn't get herself to use his first name. Instead, she called him 'Mr Kravitz' from the first day on. Kravitz quickly found out that the rest of the cast and crew also started to call him 'Mr Kravitz'.
- The first film not released by a big six studio (Fox, Disney, Paramount, WB, Columbia or Universal) to gross over $400 million in the United States.
- Jack Quaid's character Marvel is never called by name in the first book. Katniss merley refers to him as the boy from district 1. Later in the second book she learns his name during the victory tour.
- Jennifer Lawrence was paid what was, for her, the high fee of $500,000. It took her three days before she accepted the role because she was unsure how the role would clearly affect her career, since her background was largely on the indie film circuit. For The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, she was paid $10 million, 20 times more than the initial offer.
- Lenny Kravitz was cast for the role of Cinna without audition after director Gary Ross was impressed by his brief performance in Precious. Because most of Cinna's scenes are with Katniss, Kravitz learned as much as he could about Jennifer Lawrence through his daughter ZoŽ Kravitz, who appeared with Lawrence in X-Men: First Class.
- Liam Hemsworth and Jennifer Lawrence, both natural blondes, dyed their hair brown for their roles in the film while Josh Hutcherson, naturally dark-haired, dyed his hair blond for his part.
- Woody Harrelson is a vegetarian in real life. In scenes where Haymitch is seen eating, he eats either dessert or vegetables, or just drinks.
- Because of how the pedestals were arranged and spaced apart in the field, there are only 20 of them at the cornucopia instead of 24.
- Panem is located in a post-apocalyptic North America whose land mass has been reduced by rising sea levels. It is generally agreed that the Capitol is in the Rocky Mountains, possibly Colorado, and that the District 12 town where Katniss grew up is somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains, possibly Kentucky or West Virginia.
- The fictional nation in the film is called Panem. This is derived from "Panem et Circenses," or "Bread and Circuses," which comes from the latter days of the Roman Empire, in which the government would keep the masses satisfied not by performing their public services well, but by providing violent and deadly entertainments for the people to watch, which is rather fitting for the subject matter of the film.
- Wes Bentley's character never appears in the books, but he is not totally made up for the films either. He is first mentioned not in the first book, but in the second, in which the President (Donald Sutherland) explains to Katniss that he had Crane killed for failing to get the single winner traditionally required by the games.
- Donald Sutherland saw the script by accident and, when he read it, lobbied for the role of President Snow because the script reminded him of Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory. He succeeded in getting the role after he wrote a letter of plea to Gary Ross explaining why he should be cast.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson, [?] Alex Pettyfer, Josh Hutcherson, Lucas Till, Nico Tortorella, Alexander Ludwig, Evan Peters and [?] Hunter Parrish were considered to play Peeta Mellark. Hutcherson was eventually cast, although Ludwig was later cast in the role of Cato.
- Isabelle Fuhrman originally auditioned for Katniss. After deciding that she was too young for Katniss and too old for Prim, the producers invited her to audition for Clove.
- ChloŽ Grace Moretz, [?] Mary Mouser, Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin, Lyndsy Fonseca, Jodelle Ferland, Saoirse Ronan, Emma Roberts, Kaya Scodelario, Emily Browning and [?] Shailene Woodley were considered to play Katniss.
- Elizabeth Banks plays a pivotal character in the story, who has become an iconic image in pop culture, yet this character's name (Effie Trinket) is never spoken in the movie.
- Dayo Okeniyi read the book trilogy in the three days before his audition for Thresh.