Random Trivia For This Title:
- Robert Davi, who is a trained opera singer, came up with the idea where he sings to Sloth. The line he sings is from Puccini's opera "Madama Butterfly."
- Mikey mentions Michael Jackson going over to Chunk's house in one scene. In real life, Corey Feldman (who played Mouth) was close friends with the singer and the two later became estranged. Feldman attended Michael Jackson's memorial service after his death in June 2009.
- According to Sean Astin, he was allowed to keep the treasure map used in the film. Several years later his mother discovered it, thought it was just a crinkled piece of paper, and threw it in the trash.
- Jeff Cohen thought of his mother dying to generate tears during his "confession" scene with the Fratellis.
- The newspaper article photo of Chester Copperpot is actor Keenan Wynn.
- When Chunk and Sloth head down through the grate to follow the gang and the Fratellis, Sloth is wearing an Oakland Raiders T-Shirt. John Matuszak, who played Sloth, was a former Oakland Raiders football player.
- When rocks are falling from the cave ceiling, Jonathan Ke Quan (Data) screams "Holy S-H-I-T!" He said he spelled the expletive because his mother made him promise not to use any bad language in the movie.
- According to director Richard Donner in an interview with "The Directors", producer Steven Spielberg instructed the cast members to act cold and distant toward Donner on the last week of filming which puzzled him. Shortly after filming wrapped, Donner went to his beach house in Hawaii, ran into a frenzied neighbor who took up his entire day. When he arrived home, the entire cast was there with Donner to celebrate with a cookout. Spielberg flew them over to Hawaii on the promise that they not speak a word of the surprise to Donner, which prompted them to act the way they were on the last week of filming.
- The last name of the brothers who are chasing the Goonies is Fratelli. Fratelli means "brothers" in Italian.
- The cast was not allowed to see the pirate ship before the scene was shot. When they did see it, some of the kids said "Holy $#!*!" The scene had to be re-shot without them cursing.
- When the Fratelli brothers argue Anne Ramsey really slaps Robert Davi. She was told to hit him as hard as she could.
- One Eyed Willie's ship, The Inferno, was entirely real. It was 105 feet long and took 2-1/2 months to construct. It was modeled after Erroll Flynn's ship in The Sea Hawk. The sails required more than than 7,000 square feet of material. Some of the ship's rigging was recycled from the Pirates of the Caribbean ship at Disneyland, which was being renovated at the time. All the shots were filmed in the ship. After the film, it was offered to anyone who would take it. No one wanted it, so the ship was scrapped.
- Though they were divorcing at the time, [?] Patty Duke claims that she and John Astin held hands and sobbed through the entire film when they saw it for the first time. Duke and Astin are, of course, the proud parents of Sean Astin.