Random Trivia For This Title:
- Scott Adkins was offered the role of Dan Paine.
- Ross (Sylvester Stallone) quips that Trench (Arnold Schwarzenegger) wants to be President - a tongue-in-cheek reference to real-life California governor Schwarzenegger's political ambitions.
- Sylvester Stallone sustained fourteen injuries making this movie, including breaking a tooth, rupturing his ankle, and getting a hairline fracture in his neck that required the surgical insertion of a metal plate. He also had bronchitis and shingles during the shoot.
- Mickey Rourke said he did this film as a favor to Sylvester Stallone, who years earlier, when Rourke was in a career slump, offered him a major role in Get Carter and helped to pay part of Rourke's salary himself.
- Wesley Snipes was offered the role of Hale Caesar but couldn't accept because, due to his tax problems, he wasn't allowed to leave the United States without the court's approval. The role was taken by Forest Whitaker and rewritten for Whitaker, but he was forced to leave the film due to a scheduling conflict. The role was then offered to rapper [?] 50 Cent who turned the role down to focus on his music career. After a few days, Sylvester Stallone decided to cast former NFL player Terry Crews in the part. In 2014 (after finishing his prison sentence), Snipes ended up appearing in The Expendables 3.
- Plans for a sequel were already planned 7 months before the debut in the theaters.
- In the Church scene, Arnold Schwarzenegger's character says that Mr. Church should give the job to Ross (Sylvester Stallone) because he "loves running through the jungle", an obvious reference to the [Rambo] franchise.
- Mickey Rourke split filming his scenes with his appearance in Iron Man 2. He was only available for 48 hours.
- Jason Statham liked the motorcycle he rode in the film so much, he bought one in real life.
- In Germany both Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger share the same voice actor ([?] Thomas Danneberg). This, the first movie with both stars on screen, required Danneberg to do the voices for both actors. While keeping Stallone's voice raspy and low, Schwarzenegger's was dubbed lighter, but it's the same voice.
- Ben Kingsley, Robert De Niro and Al Pacino were considered for the role of Munroe.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme was offered a role, but he turned it down claiming that there was no substance in the character. Rumor has it that Dolph Lundgren replaced him but actually the part of Scandinavian Gunnar Jensen was written by Sylvester Stallone with Lundgren in mind. Van Damme appears in The Expendables 2.
- Ray Liotta was considered for the role of James Munroe.
- [?] Steven Seagal was asked to play a cameo but turned it down due to negative connections with producer [?] Avi Lerner.