Random Trivia For This Title:
- Ewan McGregorEwan McGregor expressed his interest to reprise his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in this film. Rian JohnsonRian Johnson wanted to include him, but could not find a place in the story to naturally insert the character.
- Although Disney decided not to use George LucasGeorge Lucas's story outlines for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX after the purchase of his company, a couple of Lucas's ideas surfaced in this film, including Luke Skywalker living as a recluse and training a female Jedi (in Lucas's outline her name was Kira).
- Joaquin PhoenixJoaquin Phoenix turned down the role that eventually went to Benicio Del ToroBenicio Del Toro.
- Luke Skywalker bears a strong resemblance to Obi-Wan Kenobi's appearance in the original Star Wars trilogy. In fact, Mark HamillMark Hamill reprised his role in 2015 at the age of 64, while Sir Alec GuinnessAlec Guinness was 63 when he was first cast as Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- Luke Skywalker blowing the walls apart in the hut when he sees Kylo Ren and Rey Force-connecting was a practical effect. It was achieved with fake bricks on wires.
- Rian JohnsonRian Johnson brought Frank OzFrank Oz into the editing room for guidance about editing scenes with a puppet.
- Originally the line, "It's time for the Jedi to end" was much longer, but it was shortened for a trailer. Rian JohnsonRian Johnson liked it so much, he went back and used it in the final cut.
- With the passing of Kenny BakerKenny Baker, Anthony DanielsAnthony Daniels is now the only remaining actor to appear in all the official Star Wars films.
- I changed my hair was a line that Carrie FisherCarrie Fisher ad-libbed herself.
- Daisy RidleyDaisy Ridley took her father to the set in Ireland, where the ending scene of Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) was about to be recreated. When her father met Mark HamillMark Hamill, he asked him, "Who do you play, then?" Ridley admitted she was not sure if her father was joking.
- Rian JohnsonRian Johnson is a superfan of Andy SerkisAndy Serkis' role in the movie Topsy Turvy. While on set he would constantly quote Andy's lines from that movie.
- After reading the script for the film, Mark HamillMark Hamill told director Rian JohnsonRian Johnson, "I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you've made for this character [Luke Skywalker]. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you've created and do my best to realize your vision." Hamill later stated that he had the utmost respect for Johnson and Episode VII and Episode IX director J.J. AbramsJ.J. Abrams, and is pleased with how both films have turned out.
- According to Rian JohnsonRian Johnson, Laura DernLaura Dern could not resist saying "pew pew pew!" when she was required to fire a blaster. This is similar to Ewan McGregorEwan McGregor and Hayden ChristensenHayden Christensen in the prequels: both had a habit of making lightsaber noises while they dueled.
- It was Frank OzFrank Oz's idea to reveal Yoda through silhouette.