Random Trivia For This Title:
- The actor playing Ray Finkle in the photo of the Dolphin's group shot is actually Sean Young in a wig and fake mustache.
- Jim Carrey came up with the idea of ripping off Sean Young's clothes to reveal her in her bra and underwear in the end.
- When Ace is first informing Lt. Einhorn about his Ray Finkle theory, on the desk there are two apples and a banana positioned in a suggestive manner. This foreshadows the fact that Lt. Einhorn is actually the male Finkle.
- The short scene during the party where Ace pulls the cellist's arm as he walks by, making him produce a false tone, was improvised by Jim Carrey.
- Carrie-Anne Moss and Téa Leoni were considered for the role of Melissa Robinson.
- Lauren Holly screen tested for but turned down the role played here by Courteney Cox, but co-starred with Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber later in the year.
- The voice of Ace Venutura and the manner in which he speaks, was added by Jim Carrey only after several read throughs of the script. The voice was something Carrey used in his stand up routine. The "All righty then" was the catch phrase of one of his stand up characters and after the lines from the script weren't feeling right, he added it to the script and read through it again using that voice for all the lines. It was such an improvement that it became the main Ace Ventura personality trait.
- Jim Carrey has starred in five films that have had sequels or prequels: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, The Mask, Dumb & Dumber, Batman Forever and Bruce Almighty, but this is the only film that had a sequel in which he himself appears and reprises his role.
- The entire scene where Ace Ventura claims to be expert dolphin trainer Heinz Getwellvet was originally cut out of the theatrical release. It was added back in when the movie was released on videotape in June 1994, and was advertised as "additional footage not seen in theaters".
- "Shady Acres Mental Hospital" is named for director Tom Shadyac.
- Courteney Cox's character, Melissa Robinson, was named after original writer Jack Bernstein's daughter Melissa.
- Einhorn" is German for "unicorn", and is a suggestive foreshadowing for the fact that Lt. Einhorn is really Ray Finkle, a man.