Random Trivia For This Title:
- Lara is given several gadgets in the film which are specific nods at certain gameplay features (of the Tomb Raider game and games in general) - among them the reloader belt or back pack (allowing her to reload her guns very quickly and without fidgeting about with clips or bullets) and the back pack itself (which almost mysteriously "swallows" any item moved close to its bottom or side by Lara, like the first half of the Triangle). Additionally, many of Lara's action sequence moves will be known and loved by any aficionados of the video game series. Drawing weapons mid-somersault, swallow dives into water, forward rolls to reverse direction - these are signature moves of the experienced player.
- Angelina Jolie trained for 6 months to get in shape for the film. She had lessons in yoga and kickboxing to prepare for the role. She also learned how to handle guns and other weapons. She received weapons training from an instructor of the SAS, the United Kingdom's elite special forces, to prepare herself for the role.
- When Lara starts smashing the clock with a hammer, Hillary (the butler) uses a silver tray to protect his face. This is a reference to the games in which, while exploring Croft Manor, the player can shoot at the butler who then also uses the tray he's carrying around to protect himself.
- Executive producer Stuart Baird did uncredited re-editing work on this film and Mission: Impossible II for Paramount in exchange for the job of directing Star Trek: Nemesis.
- Stephen Herek was originally supposed to direct, but he dropped out to make Rock Star instead.
- In the video game, Lara Croft is a 36DD. Angelina Jolie is naturally a 36C, and was padded to a 36D for the movie, as it was felt that padding to the original character size would be too unrealistic.
- Lara Croft's father is played by Angelina Jolie's real life father, actor Jon Voight.
- Highest grossing action film with a woman in lead role. Second is Aliens.
- Filming the scenes where Lara drives her Land Rover through the jungle there had to be endless re-shoots due to snakes and other wildlife falling through the open top roof. Angelina Jolie herself was reported to be terrified.
- The picture in the inset of Lara's father's pocket watch is of [?] Lynda Carter.
- At the time of filming, Angelina Jolie sported a large tattoo on her upper left arm. Make-up was used to cover the tattoo, but one can see where the tattoo has been covered up on several scenes.
- Was filmed at Pinewood Studios in England where [James Bond] films are made.
- Catherine Zeta-Jones was considered for the role of Lara Croft. At one point, Demi Moore was widely reported to have been in consideration for the role. Reportedly [?] Natalie Cassidy auditioned for the role but was "literally laughed out of the office" by Jolie and several others. Other actresses reportedly considered for the part include Denise Richards, Charlize Theron, Uma Thurman, Fairuza Balk, Kirsten Dunst, Milla Jovovich, Elizabeth Hurley, Sandra Bullock, Ashley Judd, [?] Christina Applegate, Cameron Diaz, [?] Nicole Eggert, [?] Jennifer Love Hewitt, Kate Hudson, [?] Jennifer Lopez, Gwyneth Paltrow, Anna Nicole Smith, and Liv Tyler. [?] Linsey Dawn McKenzie was also rumored by some media to be in the running for the part.
- Angelina Jolie did her own Bungee-Ballet, and according to an interview with her on [The Jay Leno Show], injured her ankle on the first take when landing on top of a chandelier went bad, so that part of the scene had to be done over again after she recovered.
- [?] Martin Clunes was originally asked to play Lara's butler, but filming dates clashed with his wedding anniversary (he makes a special point of never working on his anniversary), so he turned it down. The part was eventually taken by Chris Barrie.
- Lara Croft is English and Alex West is American. However, the actress Angelina Jolie who plays Croft is American and Daniel Craig, the actor who plays West, is English. Daniel Craig would eventually go on to play James Bond. The James Bond films was one of the influences behind the Tomb Raider video games, which the film is based on. The gun that Daniel Craig uses in the Tomb of the Dancing Light is a Walther P99 pistol, the signature weapon of James Bond. He later wielded this weapon again as 007 in Casino Royale.