Random Trivia For This Title:
- All of the names of the main characters were changed by Walter Hill and David Giler during the revision of the original script by Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett. The script by Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett also had a clause indicating that all of the characters are 'unisex', meaning they could be cast with male or female actors. However, Ronald Shusett and Dan O'Bannon never thought of casting Ripley as a female character.
- The original title was Star Beast.
- 130 alien eggs were made for the egg chamber inside the downed spacecraft.
- Many of the non-English versions of the film's title translate as something similar to Alien: The 8th Passenger.
- 20th Century Fox doubled the budget from $4.2 million to $8.4 million on the strength of seeing Ridley Scott's storyboards.
- The 'Company' referred to in the film is Weylan Yutani.
- The original name for the spaceship was Snark. This was later changed to Leviathan before they finally settled for Nostromo.
- The shriek that the alien baby makes when it first bursts out of John Hurt's chest was a combination of a viper, a pig's squeal and a baby's cry.
- 20th Century Fox Studios almost did not allow the 'space jockey', or the giant alien pilot, to be in the film. This was because, at the time, props for movies weren't so large.
- [?] Roger Dicken, who designed and operated the 'face hugger' and the 'chest burster,' had originally wanted the latter to pull itself out of Kane's torso with its own little hands, a sequence he felt would have produced a much more horrifying effect than the gratuitous blood and guts in the release print.