Random Trivia For This Title:
- [?] Chris Farley was originally cast as Shrek and even recorded the dialogue. However, after his death, the role was given to fellow [Saturday Night Live] performer, Mike Myers. A remnant of Farley remains when Shrek uses "finger quotes" - a trademark of Farley's character Bennett Brower.
- The principal actors never met each other. All read their parts separately, with a reader feeding them the lines.
- In Yiddish, Shrek means monster (from the German for terror or fright).
- This film was the first winner for the inaugural Best Animated Feature Film category of the Acadamy Awards 2002.
- The scene where Princess Fiona burps was not originally included, and was written only after Cameron Diaz burped after drinking some coke during a recording session.
- The only characters who refer to Shrek by name in this movie are Fiona and Donkey. All other characters refer to him as either "Beast", "Ogre", "That Thing", or "Him".
- Lord Farquaad must marry a princess to become a king. The Magic Mirror offers him three choices: Cinderella, Snow White, and the movie's Princess Fiona. Cinderella, however, was not a princess until she married Prince Charming.
- In the fire scene outside of Shrek's house you see Papa Bear comforting Baby Bear... later, in Farquaad's castle as he is watching the picture of Fiona on the mirror you see Mama Bear as a rug, skinned and laying on the floor. Her ultimate fate, however, seems to be ok. She re-appears during the Video & DVD Karaoke scene, dancing with Papa and Baby.
- Although he's supposed to be a hooved animal, Donkey's movements are instead based on those of a dog, except in the chase scene early in the film, during which Donkey's movements are based on those of a rabbit.
- The effects department actually took mud showers in order to study fluid dynamic simulation.