Random Trivia For This Title:
- Director Guillermo del Toro turned down the chance to direct this film so he could work on Hellboy II: The Golden Army.
- J.K. Rowling read through the script for this film, and found a line where Dumbledore mentions a girl he had a crush on when he was younger. After reading it, she informed the filmmakers that Dumbledore is in fact gay, and that his only romantic infatuation was with the wizard Grindelwald, whom he later had to defeat in a wizard duel. She later made this information public while promoting the final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- Robert Knox, who plays Marcus Belby, was tragically stabbed to death on May 24, 2008, just days after filming wrapped.
- Director David Yates says that he hired Hero Fiennes-Tiffin to play the young Voldemort/Tom Riddle because of his resemblance to his uncle Ralph Fiennes (who plays Voldemort/Tom Riddle as an adult) but not specifically because he was the actor's nephew. He liked the dark haunted quality about the young actor.
- Dame Maggie Smith completed filming this film whilst undergoing radio-therapy as treatment for breast cancer.
- Originally, the shooting script was written so that Harry takes possession of Dumbledore's wand after he is killed. Shortly before filming began, the final book in the series came out, in which Dumbledore's wand, and who possesses it, turn out to be major issues, so the script had to be changed.
- Dumbledore's fall from the tower filled Alan Rickman with nostalgic glee, as it harked back to his first hit Die Hard, where his character fell from a tall building. Rickman felt at least "he was on the other end in this film!"
- When the trio (Harry, Ron and Hermione) are talking about Dumbledore's age, Ron says "About 150, give or take a few years" and they start laughing as if it was a joke. In fact, Dumbledore is 115 years old at the time of his death.
- In one of a number of occasions in the book in which Prof. Slughorn gets Ron's name wrong, he refers to the character as 'Rupert' - Chapter 22. Of course Ron Weasley is played by actor Rupert Grint.
- Bob Hoskins was also considered for the role of Slughorn. Jim Broadbent started work on this film after filming Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.