Random Trivia For This Title:
- A scene originally cut, but re-inserted for the Director's Cut shows Lambert slapping Ripley in retaliation for Ripley's refusal to let her, Dallas, and Kane back on the ship. According to both Ridley Scott and Veronica Cartwright, every time she went to slap Sigourney Weaver, Sigourney would shy away. After about three or four takes of this, Scott finally told Cartwright "Not to hold back. Really hit her." Thus the very real shocked reactions of Weaver, Yaphet Kotto, and Harry Dean Stanton.
- The original name for the spaceship was Snark. This was later changed to Leviathan before they finally settled for Nostromo.
- A closer look at the alien eggs in the scene right before the facehugger reveals that slime on the eggs is dripping from bottom to top. Ridley Scott did this intentionally by shooting with the camera upside down.
- The engines of the Narcissus coming to life was created by having water pour out of showers with strong arc lights around it. This gave the illusion that it was plasma.
- Bolaji Badejo, a seven foot tall Masai tribesman, beat Peter Mayhew to the part of the alien.
- The space jockey prop was 26 feet tall and the three crew members--Lambert, Dallas, and Kane--who find the mumified creature are portrayed by Ridley Scott's two children and another child; this was done to make the model appear larger.
- Conceptual artist H.R. Giger's designs were changed several times because of their blatant sexuality.
- The rumor that the cast, except for John Hurt, did not know what would happen during the 'chestburster' scene is partly true. The scene had been explained for them, but they did not know specifics. For example, Veronica Cartwright did not expect to be sprayed with blood.
- For the chestburster sequence, John Hurt stuck his head, shoulders and arms through a hole in the mess table, linking up with a mechanical torso that was packed with compressed air (to create the forceful exit of the alien) and lots of animal guts. The rest of the cast were not told that real guts were being used so as to provoke genuine reactions of shock and disgust.
- The Nostromo is supposed to be 800 feet long, while the craft she is towing is a mile and a half long.