Random Trivia For This Title:
- The premise of the film is greatly influenced by Enter the Dragon. Note the three fighters, the transition by way of old style boat to an island, the final battle with the old man.
- Cameron DiazCameron Diaz was originally set to play Sonya Blade, but she broke her wrist before filming and was replaced by Bridgette WilsonBridgette Wilson who director Paul W.S. AndersonPaul W.S. Anderson nicknamed "RoboBabe".
- Among those who auditioned for the role of Liu Kang were [?] Jason Scott Lee, Russell WongRussell Wong, and [?] Phillip Rhee.
- When Johnny Cage defeats Scorpion, he throws at his corpse an autographed photo of himself. In the [Mortal Kombat] games, this is Cage's "Friendship" finishing move.
- Chris CasamassaChris Casamassa was hired to work as a stunt ninja. At the audition the producers were so impressed that he got the part of Scorpion.
- [?] Brandon Lee was originally cast as Johnny Cage, but died before production began. Jean-Claude Van DammeJean-Claude Van Damme turned down the role of Johnny Cage to do Street Fighter. Tom CruiseTom Cruise and Johnny DeppJohnny Depp were both considered for the role of Johnny Cage.
- Christopher LambertChristopher Lambert, an enthusiastic gamer himself, also voiced Raiden in the French dubbed version of the film.
- This opened at the top of the US box office with $23 million, nearly 8 times more than the week's other new release, The Baby-Sitters Club. It enjoyed a 3 week run at the top of the US box office. The film's soundtrack went platinum in less than two weeks.
- Steven SpielbergSteven Spielberg, an avid fan of video games, in particular the [Mortal Kombat] series, was set to make a cameo appearance as the director in Johnny Cage's first scene. However scheduling conflicts forced him to back out. Nonetheless, the "director" character in this scene does resemble Spielberg, which is most likely a reference to this.
- Frank WelkerFrank Welker was uncredited as the voice of the creature Reptile and of the Emperor, Shao Kahn. The voice Welker gave Shao Kahn is almost identical to Welker's Dr. Claw voice on [Inspector Gadget].
- The film was originally supposed to end just after Rayden tells Liu Kang and company: "I've gotta tell you something, you guys did great." But a new ending was re-shot and incorporated into the final film, which is when The Emperor (Shao Kahn) suddenly appears and says, "You weak, pathetic fools, I've come for your souls!" To which Rayden replies, "I don't think so." And he and the others prepare for battle.
- Robin ShouRobin Shou originally turned down the opportunity to audition for the movie, assuming that he'd be cast as a stereotypical Asian villain. He reconsidered at the advice of his agent.
- Ed BoonEd Boon, co-creator of the original video game "Mortal Kombat," starred as the voice of Scorpion.