Random Trivia For This Title:
- The scene near the end where Billy Crudup's character joins Ethan Hunt after the apparent murder of his wife was rewritten on the morning it was shot. Crudup was reading his lines off cue cards throughout it.
- The two main actresses, Michelle Monaghan and Keri Russell, share the birthday: 23 March 1976.
- Katie Holmes and Jessica Alba were considered for the lead female role.
- When Ethan wakes up tied to the chair and Brownway shoots the charge up his nose, the hand seen holding the gun to Tom Cruise's nose is not Eddie Marsan's, but Cruise's own hand. The same goes later when Musgrave puts the phone to Ethan's ear, then Ethan bites Musgrave's hand. The hand that Cruise bit was not Billy Crudup's, but again was his own hand.
- Scarlett Johansson was cast in the film early on but pulled out of the project and her role eventually went to Keri Russell.
- Rachel McAdams turned down Michelle Monaghan's role.
- Maggie Q had to learn how to drive for the movie, she didn't know how to before. It is revealed in the DVD extras that while driving during the shoot, the heel of her shoe got stuck on the accelerator, leading her car to crash (lightly) into another parked car.
- Thandie Newton was offered the chance to reprise the role of Nyah Nordoff Hall, but turned it down to concentrate on spending time with her family. Her role in the story was later changed to a new character named Leah Quint (played by Carrie-Anne Moss) but when J.J. Abrams took over directing the project, the character was totally scrapped from the story.
- At one point, Ricky Gervais was cast in the film as an ally to Ethan Hunt. But due to various production and casting changes, Gervais had to pull out of the film and was replaced by Simon Pegg.
- Studio filming took place at sound stages at the Paramount Studios lot, which for the previous 18 years had been used solely for episodes of [Star Trek].
- [?] Kelly Brook was at one point slated to appear.
- Kenneth Branagh was cast as the villain, but because of shooting-delays he had to drop out to begin work on As You Like It.