Random Trivia For This Title:
- When Van Pelt enters the gun store, the music playing on the radio has been modified for the Mexican release due to the fact that, at least in the U.S. release, it originally featured Mexico's national anthem. It is an infringement of Mexican law to play the anthem for commercial or mockery situations, deliberately or not, although in the U.S. Territories it is in the public domain.
- The exterior of the Parish shoe factory was filmed at the Hurd Mill in North Berwick, Maine. The building was once a prosperous mill that made wool products, but has been empty for many years.
- In the film, the role of Alan Parrish's father and that of the merciless hunter Van Pelt are played by the same actor (Jonathan Hyde). This may be a reference to Peter Pan, since (in theatre and movie versions) the parts of Captain Hook and Wendy's father are traditionally played by the same actor.
- The movie was filmed in Keene, New Hampshire. The film crew left an advertisement up on a brick wall right in the center of town for Parrish Shoes which can still be seen today.
- Joe Johnston had reservations over casting Robin Williams because of the actor's reputation for improvisation, fearing that he wouldn't adhere to the script. However, Williams understood that it was "a tightly structured story" and generally filmed the scenes as outlined in the script, but where he was allowed to improvise (usually in scenes with Bonnie Hunt) he would often film duplicate scenes.
- Robin Williams was beloved by Keene, NH townsfolk during filming. He was even presented with the keys to the city by Keene's mayor in 1994! After his death, Keene residents crafted a makeshift memorial of flowers and candles below the Parrish Shoes sign, and even organized a public screening of the film.
- Bradley Pierce underwent three hours of applying prosthetic makeup for his scenes as a monkey, for about 15 to 20 days. He enjoyed going through the process and wearing the makeup.
- The line "Of course she'll know where Sarah went. She's a psychic" was improvised by Bradley Pierce.
- Roger Ebert criticised the film for being marketed as a family film, yet being far too scary for children. Even Robin Williams wouldn't let his children watch it.
- Scarlett Johansson auditioned for the role of Judy Shepherd.
- Bruce Willis was considered for the role of Alan. But due to him shooting Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995), he was unavailable.
- Tom Hanks, Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, Kevin Costner, Sean Connery, Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Michael Keaton, Bill Paxton and Arnold Schwarzenegger were all considered for the role of Alan Parrish. Tom Hanks' son Colin Hanks appears in the sequel as an adult Alex Vreeke in Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017).