Random Trivia For This Title:
- The robot that appears behind the emcee in the final scene at the convention is from the Robin Williams film Toys.
- The rock monster is a mock tribute to William Shatner, who desperately wanted to put rock monsters in the climax of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, but had to cut them out of his script for budgetary reasons.
- The final battle between Sirrus's ship and NSEA Protector in the minefield could have been a tribute to the final battle between [Star Trek]'s Kirk and Khan in the nebula in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.
- At the beginning of the film, Tommy's "You are so full of $#!%, man!" line was re-dubbed to "You are so full of it, man!" When faced with going through "the chompers", Gwen's "Well, %^ that!" was re-dubbed to say "Well, screw that!". These edits were to avoid a PG-13 rating. The original lines are still obvious when reading their lips.
- Reportedly originally developed by Harold Ramis for Disney, but Ramis dropped out before production began.
- In theaters, the film was presented at 1.85:1 for the first 20 minutes. When Tim Allen first realizes he's on a real spaceship and the vista of Thermia is revealed, the screen image widened to 2.35:1 as the parting walls of the spaceship revealed the vista.
- The scene when Tim Allen is in a mens room overhearing how the cast of [Galaxy Quest] are nobodies and all the co-stars can't stand him mirrors an actual event in William Shatner's life. He discovered the exact same things about himself when he attended a [Star Trek] convention.
- Justin Long's film debut.
- The name "Alexander Dane" alludes to this character's seriousness as an actor in the legitimate Shakespearean theater. Shakespeare's character of Hamlet is sometimes referred to as "the melancholy Dane."
- Rainn Wilson's big screen debut.
- Despite frequent whining about his character "Crewman Number Six" being expendable and going to die, Guy Fleegman is the only crew member not to be shot or killed by Sarris during the end shootout.