Random Trivia For This Title:
- The pond where Davidge and Sheegan meet for the first time is the same artificial pond custom-built for the model submarine scenes of Das Boot, also directed by Wolfgang PetersenWolfgang Petersen, as well as one or two scenes from Die unendliche Geschichte, also a Petersen film.
- [?] Richard Loncraine was the original director of the film, but was replaced by Wolfgang PetersenWolfgang Petersen.
- David LynchDavid Lynch was one of the directors considered.
- To make a corridor look longer than it actually was, the crew created an optical illusion by putting a mirror in a 45° angle at the end of it. At the Bavaria Filmstudios, where the movie has been filmed, you can still take a guided tour around the set. The effect with the mirror was so good that one day a tour guide ran into the glass and broke it.
- Terry GilliamTerry Gilliam was offered the chance to direct, but turned it down, preferring instead to develop his own project, which would eventually become Brazil.
- During the opening battle sequence, the computer screen inside the Drac ship is actually displaying the structure of a protein.
- Author Barry LongyearBarry Longyear reported at a convention that the studio insisted on adding a subplot involving a mine, the studio thinking the audience would not realize that the "Mine" in the title was a possessive rather than an object.
- Louis Gossett Jr.Louis Gossett Jr. said in a TV interview that he had talked while gargling saliva as a kid as one of those kid things. He told the director that he thought that it would add a good touch to his character.
- The film was re-shot completely after the production suffered creative differences between the producers and the first director which caused the film to go over budget and to be delayed for almost a year.