Random Trivia For This Title:
- Tom Hanks is too tall at 6'1" to be an astronaut. The maximum height for an astronaut is 6'0".
- Ron Howard claims that, after seeing the film, Buzz Aldrin asked him if NASA could use the footage of the launch from the movie.
- In some scenes where the Earth can be seen from the windows of Apollo 13, it is one of the photos taken by Jim Lovell and [?] Bill Anders on the Apollo 8 mission.
- Ron Howard's favorite film of his own.
- Brad Pitt turned down an offer to star in this film and chose, instead, to star in Se7en.
- Marilyn Lovell really did lose her ring down the drain but eventually found it again.
- John Travolta turned down the part of Jim Lovell.
- Gene Kranz (Ed Harris) gives a list of instructions to his team at Mission Control and finishes by saying, "Failure is not an option!" [?] Gene Kranz did not actually say this during the Apollo 13 mission, but he liked the line. He would later use it as the title of his 2000 autobiography.
- The role of [?] Fred Haise (Bill Paxton) was first offered to John Cusack but was turned down. Charlie Sheen was also considered for the role.
- After the premiere of the film, Ron Howard asked the audience members to write reviews of the film. While most of the reviews were positive, one review stated that there was no way the crew would have survived the mission. Apparently, the person who wrote it did not know the film is based on a true story.